What You Should Do About A Large, Infected Growth On Your Body

Posted on: 31 March 2016

There are a lot of different types of growths you can develop on your body, but two common types are cysts and abscesses. These growths can look very similar at times and are usually harmless; however, there are times when you should visit a doctor for a growth of this type. If you currently have a growth on your body and are not sure what to do, here are several things you should know.

The Difference Between Cysts And Abscesses

Cysts are growths on the body that are closed pockets of tissues. They are typically filled with air, pus, or another type of fluid. An abscess is a growth that is typically filled with pus, and it is usually the result of an infection in the skin. Abscesses are often red or swollen. Both types of growths can appear anywhere on the body, and they can both be big or small.

In most cases, cysts do not hurt in any way. They are simply lumps you can see or feel under your skin. They can stay there for months or years without changing in any way in some cases, and you may not even know you have them for a very long time. In some cases, though, they will become infected, and this will lead to redness and pain. Abscesses, on the other hand, typically appear suddenly and may be painful. They will hurt when you touch them, and they may grow very quickly.

Most cysts and abscesses are harmless; however, there are times when they can be cancerous. You typically do not need to go to the doctor if you have either of these types of growths; however, you should consider visiting a medical clinic if you suddenly have a lot of pain or suspect that the growth is infected. You should also see a doctor if you develop a fever or any other symptoms that might indicate an infection in your body.

How Doctors Treat These Growths

When you visit a doctor for a skin growth, the doctor will begin by examining it. By looking at it and feeling it, the doctor will often be able to determine if it is a cyst, an abscess, or some other type of growth. In most cases, it does not really matter what type of growth it is. If the growth is filled with fluid, the doctor will recommend draining it. Draining the fluid can relieve the pressure and pain the growth is causing, and it will also help it go away.

To drain the wound, the doctor may cut it open with a scalpel. The doctor may then squeeze it to try to make the fluid come out. Once the doctor gets as much fluid out as possible, he or she will clean the area thoroughly to reduce the risks of developing or spreading an infection. Finally, the doctor will bandage up the wound, as this will help collect the fluid as it continues to drain out.

If the doctor suspects a problem with the wound, he or she may send a sample of the tissue or fluid from it to a lab. This is done as a safety precaution, simply to make sure the wound is not cancerous. You may also be given a prescription for an antibiotic, and this is also done as a safety precaution.

Going to the doctor for a skin growth can be scary, but it is often the best thing to do if a wound is sore and infected. To learn more, contact a medical clinic to schedule an appointment with a doctor today.