Posted on: 18 April 2016
Your eyes are absolutely essential. Without the proper care, especially as you age, you're setting yourself up for vision problems. With the right knowledge, you can keep your eyes healthy for a lifetime. Here are the top five eye care tips:
1. Get eye exams
A comprehensive eye exam doesn't just check your vision acuity. An eye exam will also detect eye health problems including cataracts, glaucoma, and retina defects. It's important to have an eye exam regularly. If you have healthy eyes, you only need an exam every few years. If you wear contacts, glasses, have a health condition, or you're aging, you will need an eye exam yearly.
2. Wear sunglasses
Did you know your eyes need protection from UV rays? UV rays put you at risk for cataracts and macular degeneration. Protect your eyes with sunglasses that block both UVA and UVB rays. Use wraparound lenses if you're at the beach or pool. Contact lens wearers can benefit from the extra protection provided by special UV-blocking contacts.
3. Be mindful with contacts
Contact lens wearers need to take extra care. Contact lenses carry an increased risk of eye irritation or infection. Here are guidelines to follow:
- Wash hands thoroughly with soap before handling contacts.
- Remove contacts and store in a case with contact lens solution before bed. Don't sleep in your contacts.
- Remove contacts before swimming.
- Get a new contact lens case every few months.
4. Use makeup properly
If you wear makeup you need to take extra care with your eyes. Makeup can increase the risk of infection. Here are some tips on using makeup while still keeping your eyes healthy:
- If you wear contacts, look for eye makeup specifically for contact lens wearers.
- Replace eyeliner, mascara, and sponge applicators every few months.
- Wash your brushes every few weeks.
- Completely remove makeup before bed.
5. Avoid eye strain
Eye strain is an unpleasant, annoying condition that causes headaches, fatigue, and dry, irritated eyes. While eye strain doesn't carry serious consequences, you should prevent eye strain to keep your eyes happy. Here's how to prevent eye strain:
- Take frequent breaks every hour or so while using a computer.
- Turn the brightness down on your computer and phone screens or use anti-glare screen covers.
- Use eye drops throughout your work day.
- Sit at least an arm's length away from the screen. Make the font bigger if necessary.
These are five tips that will help you keep your eyes healthy. Ask your eye doctor for more tips.Share