Everything You Need to Know About Installing Stair Lifts In Your Home

Posted on: 23 May 2017

Stairs are said to be the most dangerous area in your home and can be a challenge to people each day of their lives. You may wonder what to do about elderly loved ones whose disabilities prevent them from going up and down the staircase in your home.

There are different types of stair lifts that you can choose from. They will allow you and your family members to ride in safety to get downstairs and upstairs. Pay attention to these important facts about installing stair lifts in your home.

Dynamics of Stair Lifts

Stair lifts allow people who have limited mobility to travel up and down with ease. They come equipped with a platform or a chair that meets your specific needs. The equipment moves along a rail that's fitted to the stairs. It's moved by a power battery motor that is continuously charged automatically. You have the choice of charging the motor at the top or bottom of the stairs. This feature prevents it from ever cutting out when your ride is halfway along the stairs.

How to Use the Stair Lift

Your lift is fairly easy to operate and you'll learn to do so quickly. You will use a small joystick or toggle that's on the armrest to direct the chair up or down the stairs. 

Stair Lifts to Choose From

There are a variety of lifts from which you can choose from:

  • Straight stair lifts that travel from top to bottom 
  • Curved stair lifts for curved staircases
  • Perch stair lifts if it's difficult for you to sit or bend your knees
  • Outdoor stair lifts that are waterproof and capable of withstanding extreme conditions

Safety Features on the Equipment

There is a lockable on and off switch when the lift is not in use. It also comes with electrical and mechanical braking systems that bring your lift to a safe and smooth stop. The perch-type lift prevents you from falling off the stair lift. There are also swiveling footplates, which bridge the existing gap between the stair lift and the top of the stairs area.

Stair Lift Cost

At the low end of cost stands straight stair lifts that can cost up to $1500. Curved stair lifts are more expensive. They have to be measured before the order is filled.

Medicare will pay 80 percent of charges for your lift, and Medigap might also pick up the remaining 20 percent charge. However, you must obtain a prescription from your doctor for this item. Call Medicare to confirm that insurance will pay for your stair lift. To find out more, talk to companies like All-Star Lifts.